EWOP isn't just a program. It's a revolution to achieve lasting results with profound impact. We believe in providing the opportunity for a “fresh start” to women in prison who thrive on the challenge and accountability provided by the program. Our ten driving values are at the core of everything we do, from programming for classes to volunteer interactions to family engagement.
EWOP's Ten Driving Values
1. "Fresh Start" Outlook EWOP believes that every woman in prison is a human being in need of a true second chance (which for many may actually be a legitimate first chance). We will treat every person with respect, regardless of background or personal history. We strive to equip our ladies with the tools needed to achieve their full potential. We believe that people can change, dignity can be restored, and society will reap bountifully, as a result.
2. Servant-Leader Mentality EWOP believes that with leadership comes the overriding responsibility to be of service to others. We believe the contributions we make in the lives of others are far more important than our own accomplishments. We will lead by example, with humility, at the sacrifice of personal glory. EWOP exists because of our desire to serve all those with whom we come in contact, especially our participants, executives, partners, donors, prison staff, and the community at large.
3. Love We are committed to service, in love. EWOP staff and leaders will be patient and kind, never envious, boastful, or rude. We will not seek our own way nor be easily provoked; rather, we will bear all things and endure all things. We will rejoice in the truth and always seek out the best in others.
4. Innovation We embrace a pioneering spirit and are constantly in the pursuit of innovation and improvement in our efforts to help others. We expect dramatic change. We are committed to seeing beyond the current perception, and even the current reality, to break stereotypes and shape new futures.
5. Accountability We believe that without accountability, neither our participants nor the executives with whom we work will be changed by the program. We will do everything in our power to help the participants succeed in life, but we provide only opportunities and tools; participants must want to change. Consequently, EWOP only commits time and resources to those who demonstrate a desire to help themselves. EWOP enforces a “no wiggle room” accountability program with participants. EWOP volunteers and employees will likewise be held to a high standard of accountability, being required to take ownership of their initiatives and follow through with their commitments.
6. Integrity We model and require complete honesty and integrity in all our relationships and endeavors. Integrity means more than simply the absence of deception; it means we are completely forthright in all our dealings. We say what needs to be said, not simply what people want to hear. We are truthful with ourselves, listening attentively to feedback from others as they speak into our lives, correct us, and reveal to us our blind spots.
7. Implementation We place an emphasis on implementation — the ability to get things done. We expect to deliver outstanding and timely results. Big thoughts don’t matter if they are not turned into action. Leaders ACT! Self-discipline is a core element of our organization’s culture. We sweat the small stuff. We hire people with a strong track record of successful implementation.
8. Fun Work is an important part of life and it should be fun and rewarding. We seek to create a work environment that encourages laughter, imagination, fellowship, and creativity. We regularly celebrate positive results and recognize those involved in the success.
9. Excellence We are dedicated to pursuing excellence in every area, despite the difficulties which arise from setting high standards. We seek to work with and learn from the best of the best. We are dedicated to developing excellence in leadership throughout our organization— leadership of projects, ideas and the promotion of our Ten Driving Values. EWOP is committed to working with people and organizations who share our values and mission.
10. Wise Stewardship We are committed to the mentality of a steward: someone entrusted with another’s wealth or property and charged with the responsibility of managing it in the owner’s best interest. We will apply donors’ funds as promised. We are committed to being a lean organization, and as a staff, we are also committed to modest salary and expense levels. We use funds intelligently, efficiently, and strategically to achieve maximum benefit for all whom we serve.
Your Support is Critical to Our Mission
Through your generosity, you can make fresh starts possible while upholding our driving values and making the greatest impact on women's lives.